Cyanogen Inc announced the shutdown of CynogenMod build service in December 2016. It was a sad news for all those people whose life were depended on custom ROMs. Hopefully, CyanogenMod is not dead but it will continue as Lineage OS.
LineageOS is available for most of the device which already had CM14.1 or CM13 ROM for them. There are many phones for which Lineage OS is still not available but hopefully will be available soon.
We will guide through everything you need to do to install LineageOS so, even if you are doing this for the first time you don’t need to worry.
The method explained here is a universal method to install a Custom ROM so it should work for any device out there having a custom recovery installed.
We will also guide you on how to upgrade to Lineage OS without loosing your data, Root Lineage OS and Install Google Assitant on the go.
Unlock The Bootloader
If you have no idea about what bootloader is then the chances are that you have your bootloader locked and you need to unlock your bootloader before continuing further.
Install Custom Recovery (TWRP)
If you have your bootloader unlocked then you can follow these simple steps to Install TWRP on your phone.
- Download and install ADB & Fastboot Drivers.
- Download TWRP Recovery for your phone. Rename it to TWRP.
- Now, enable USB Debugging from Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Connect your phone to the PC using USB cable.
- Go to the directory where you have saved TWRP img, Shift + Right Click & choose Open command window here.
- Now type
adb reboot bootloaderand hit Enter.
- Once you are in the fastboot mode type
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.imgand hit Enter.
- That’s it, you have installed TWRP on your phone.
Installing Lineage OS
This steps will help you to install Lineage OS on your supported Android phone and if you are currently running CaynogenMod or an unofficial Lineage OS then you can easily update your phone to Lineage OS without any data loss. Also, we will Root Lineage OS and install Google Assistant on the go.
Just in case id you don’t know your phone’s CPU architecture, you can use this app for your phone’s hardware info: Droid Hardware Info
- Go to this website, choose your phone model and download the latest nightly build. And, if you just want to upgrade to Lineage OS without any data loss then download the experimental build.
- On the same page, on the left sidebar, scroll down to the end and click on Extras. Here download supersu zip file according to your phone’s CPU architecture. (Optional)
- Next, download GApps. Select your CPU architecture, choose Android version and choose the right variant. If you want to enable Google Assitant while flashing the ROM then download arom variant of GApps and if not then download micro variant.
Steps To Install/Upgrade To Lineage OS
- Make sure you have downloaded latest nightly build for your phone.
- If you are trying to upgrade make sure you downloaded the experimental build of Lineage OS for your Phone and you are running the latest version of CyanogenMod or Unofficial Lineage OS on your device.
- Also, make sure you have downloaded the supersu zip file and the right version of GApps for your phone.
- Move all the required Zip files to the internal storage of your phone.
- Using your phone specific button combination go into Recovery Mode. For eg. Power Button + Volume Down Button (OnePlus One).
└If you don’t know the button combination then you can use ADB to go into recovery mode. Simply connect your phone to PC, open command prompt and type
adb reboot bootloader
- If you are trying to upgrade to Linage OS, in the Recovery, go to Install, select your experimental build zip file and swipe to flash it. That’s it! Reboot your phone.
- If you are trying to install Lineage OS from scratch then go to Wipe and swipe to factory reset your phone. (This will wipe all your data except internal storage)
- Now, go back to the main menu, go to install, choose your Lineage OS zip file and swipe to flash it.
- Once that’s done, go back to Intall, choose GApps zip file and swipe to flash it. If you have installed other version of GApps and not the Aroma version then you are done here. (Skip to step 12)
- If you are have flashed Aroma version of GApps then you will see a GUI installer. Here you can either choose Complete Install (not recommended) or Customize Installation. IF you choose Customize Installation, check all the apps that you want to install.
- Now, tap on next, check any app that you want to replace with the system apps. Tap on next again and under Advanced Options check on “Google Assistant” to enable Google Assitant.
- Now, go back to Install menu and choose supersu zip file, swipe to flash it. (Optional)
- Once that is done, Reboot your phone.
- Once you reboot your phone, setup your phone.
- Now if you wish to enable Root on your device go to Settings > About Phone. Press 7 times on build number to enable Developer Options.
- Now, go back and navigate to Settings > Developer Options. Look for Root, tap on it and choose Apps only.
- To Enable Google Assistant, long press the HOME button and setup your Google Assitant.