Remember the time when computers were just found on our table with all those separate components like the monitor, keyboard, mouse and the cabinet. Technology has evolved at lot in a past few years, smartphones which are about the size of your palm comes with equal or greater power than your traditional desktop computers nowadays.
Today most people buy smartphones as it capable enough to do most things an average user would want. Not many people spend their money to buy a separate laptop or PC for their needs and smartphones today comes as for the same price as a normal Desktop PC.
Why would one wanna use an Android Phone as his PC?
One drawback of a smartphone would be its size, well, maybe not in a way you might think. Smartphones are as powerful as a normal desktop PC, it’s a mini computer after all, you can do a lot more stuff with it rather than just using it for making a call or playing some games.
On a PC you have a much bigger display on which you can efficiently do multitasking. Instead of spending money on a new a PC you can use your phone to do all work a PC can do. You can connect your phone to a separate display, a monitor or your TV or you can use your phone as your additional PC for other work.
You can watch movies and videos on a bigger display just using your smartphone. You can use your phone to write code, documents with much larger work area with a bigger display, you can use it yo edit videos, edit pictures and what not. Everything you can do on a PC, now you can do all that with your phone in your pocket using Andromium OS.
Andromium OS is built by the guys behind the Kickstarter project, The Superbook. This app gives you an ability to have Desktop like experience on your phone without installing any custom firmware and it works with all modern Android OS.
Andromium OS’s Features
- Desktop like environment.
- Window’s like start button.
- Has built-in apps like browser, file manager, video player, music player etc.
- Native apps have desktop-like UI.
Andromium OS’s Requirements
- Snapdragon 800 or better processor
- 2GB RAM
- Lollipop 5.0 or above
Installing Andromium OS
- You can download and install Andromium OS from Play Store.
- Or you can download the APK file and install it manually.
Things You Will Need
These are all the things you will need (not necessarily all) for the various method described in this post.
- Android Phone with Lollipop 5.0 or higher
- External Display
- Mouse & Keyboard (USB/Wireless/Bluetooth)
- Windows PC or Mac
- USB OTG Cable
- USB to USB Cable
- Wifi Router (802.11ac recommended)
If there is one and only best method to use your Android phone as your PC is by using a SuperBook. It’s the most super easy, straightforward and convenient way to convert your phone into a laptop.
How To Order A SuperBook?
- First, you need to open the Pre-order page.
- Scroll down and under Superbook tab, click on Pre-order.
- Now Choose the desired color, screen resolution, keyboard type, and quantity.
- Now, click on Add to Cart.
- You can also add other accessories listed on that page
- Next, click on Checkout button.
- Enter your details and make an order.
In this method, we are going to connect the Android phone to different types of external display and using the mouse and keyboard in the best way possible.
Connection to external display using HDMI
- You will need a Monitor or a TV with HDMI port.
- You will need an HDMI (Type A) to Micro-HDMI cable.
- Or you can also use Micro USB to HDMI cable.
- Or you can use an HDMI to USB cable.
Connection to external display wirelessly
- If you TV supports Miracast, you can use it to mirror your Android screen easily.
- You can also use Chromecast to display Android Screen on your TV.
Using Keyboard and Mouse
- The best way is to use a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse with your phone.
- You can also use Wireless USB Keyboard and Mouse using an OTG cable.
- If you wanna use Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse then you will need a 2 in 1 or better 3 in 1 USB OTG cable.
In this method will look at how to display your Android screen on a Windows PC or a Mac. There are many ways to get this job done and we will describe them here so you can choose the best one that works for you well.
MirriGo will help you to screen Android Screen on your Windows PC. There are two ways to mirror your Android screen to your PC, one is via USB cable and the another one is by using the wifi router. Using USB cable is the best way for faster transfer rate unless you are using an 802.11ac type Wifi Router.
MirrowGo allows you to use your PC’s Keyboard and Mouse but it lags most of the times, the best option is to use a Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse directly from your Android Phone. However if you will use a wired or wireless Keyboard and Mouse, make sure you buy a 3 in 1 USB OTG Cable, one port to connect the phone to PC via USB (if you are not using wifi), two (or one) ports for your wired (or wireless) Keyboard & Mouse.
Setting Up MirrorGO
- First, go ahead and download the MirrorGo installer.
- Install MirrorGo on your Windows PC.
- Open up the MirrorGo on your PC.
- On your phone, enable USB debugging mode.
- For the first time, connect your phone to the Computer via USB.
- Now choose your device.
- It will take some to load and it will install the MirrirGo app on your phone.
- To connect using the wifi, make sure you have followed the steps above and MirrorGo app is already installed on your phone.
- Now choose Wifi in MirrorGo on your PC.
- Now open MirrirGo app on your phone and scan the QR Code to connect.
Mirroring 360 (Mac & Windows)
An alternative for the Windows user and maybe the only best option for Mac users, Mirroring360. It not only mirrors Android screen but it also can mirror screen of any device be it Mac, iPad, iPhone, Chromebook or PC. However, in this tutorial, we are going to focus on how to screen the Android Screen on Both Mac and PC.
Setting Up Mirroring360
- Download and Install Mirroring360 for Mac or Windows.
- Alternatively, you can use the Chrome Extension if the above software didn’t work for you.
- Download and install Mirroring360 Sender App.
- Now, open the Mirroring360 on your PC.
- In the General tab, click on Mirroring Assitant.
- Now you will get a window with QR Code like this.
- Now, on your phone open the Mirroring360 app.
- Click on the icon at the bottom right corner of the app.
- Now you can either enter the ID or you can tap to scan the QR code.
Using Andromium OS
Make sure you are are mirroring your Android screen on you PC and it’s in full-screen mode. And make sure your Keyboard & Mouse is connected to your phone via Bluetooth or via USB OTG.
- In your phone, open up the Andromium OS app.
- Choose the scaling size or leave it to Normal.
- Now tap on the Andromium OS notification to use it.
- And that’s it, you can now start using Andromium OS.
- To turn off Andromium OS, you can click on Start button and choose Log Out.
Andromium OS app is still in beta stage and we will see more improvements in the future. In future, there will be more apps that will support Andromium OS making it more convenient to do lots of task with ease.
We will be updating this post with details as we get more information and new methods to mirror you Android Screen. You can also watch our YouTube video for more detailed instructions.